Winners and Losers
Factory farming represents a broken covenant. Our dependence on animals was supposed to be a mutually beneficial relationship, a symbiotic relationship.
Yet it is becoming clear that what has now evolved in animal husbandry looks very much like exploitation. Have we betrayed and sold out the weakest, most helpless creatures supposedly under our care; our farm animals?
This website it dedicated to the exploration of industrial farming, also known as CAFOs (confined animal feeding operations), and the challenges and choices it now presents to us.
For your convenience in navigating the site, below is a Google search box to help locate specific topics. Just type in the appropriate search term and click on "Search" and the results will appear on a separate page.
Learn the Process
Take the time to learn how animal flesh and animal products end up on our table and be sure to look at the whole process from start to finish. Don't rely on the information presented here, do your own research then make up your own mind.
Read a Book, Watch a Video, visit a website
Read some of the books in our recommended reading list, watch the videos on the internet documenting what goes on in the factory farms, buy the DVD "Food, Inc." or "The Cove" or the "Future of Food", and look into the power brokers behind the industry.
Make Your Choice
Then make your own decision about how much and what type of animal products you will continue to consume (or not). Most important is to learn the long term effects on our health, the damage done to the environment and destruction of the community and family farm, then make your choices. Read on but watch the video first.
What Is the Factory Farming Industry Hiding?
The Video, "If Slaughterhouses had Glass Walls everyone would be a Vegetarian", is produced by PETA and narrated by Paul McCartney. It sums up better than a million words why these pages are included in the Factory-Farming.com website. It is a video the meat industry does not want anyone to see.
Find out more at meat.org
An Inside Look
Factory farming produces a product from living machines, confined to one spot, fed but rarely cared for, living in stress and often pain, terror, boredom, and incredible filth.
It is a high volume process designed to minimize cost using ever more efficient technology, pushing for faster and faster production lines such that the human workers can seldom keep up the pace; much to the detriment of the animals headed for a painful death. The toll that farm factories take on the long term health of their workers is severe but has been carefully hidden from view.
The carnage extends to beef, dairy, poultry, pork and fish. No animal is spared if it can be squeezed to produce a profit for the multinational corporations and their stakeholders. You know who they are, you see their names every time you walk into a supermarket.
The Real Cost
The lower cost foods achieved by these operations come at an incredible cost to the communities that are unfortunate enough to have them as neighbors.
The evidence is that they heavily contribute to the declining health of consumers of their products and the workers on the animal factory assembly lines (or disassembly lines). They destroy the quality of life in the surrounding community, pollute the environment, and subject the animals themselves to unspeakable suffering and torture.
What's In a Name?
The industry would rather refer to factory farming as a "Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation" or CAFO but Captive Animal Feeding Operation is more descriptive. In reality there is no resemblance whatsoever between farming and an animal factory.
At every step of the way, it is an industrial enterprise very similar to a manufacturing production line, only with more blood, pollution, pain, and cruelty. Yet our government still views these operations as farms instead of industrial manufacturing and exempts the captive animals from all animal cruelty laws, after all, they aren't really animals, they are production units.
It's All About the Money
As far as the factory farming industry is concerned, the creatures pain, suffering, filth, sickness, shoulder-to-shoulder crowding and environment are irrelevant so long as the animals get fat and can bring in a profit in ever shortening time frames.
Think about what animal factory food really is. It is the spoils of a pure profit driven system fostered by collusion between government, a politicized judiciary, an efficiency driven industry and science-focused academia. Animal science has replace animal husbandry.
Is There a Good Side?
The original intent of this website was to present both the good side and the downside of factory farming. It quickly became an exercise in futility since no sustainable upside could be found, not for us, the workers, the community and certainly not for the animals.
Proponents, meaning the companies that profit from the system, point to the low price of meat and dairy at the supermarket and say that without such mass production (economies of scale), it would be impossible to feed the population. These claims will be exposed as pure nonsense and/or outright lies. The true cost, the hidden costs, of those low prices will be explored in detail.
Lower Prices but at What Cost?
Consumers are paying the price in higher taxes to subsidize the multinationals, higher environmental costs to remediate their damage, higher health costs, degraded lifestyle in the local communities, loss of the economic base of the local community and an insensitivity in the workers from constant exposure to the cruelty of the system.
The site is devoted to raising public awareness of every aspect of the whole factory farming industry. It has been hidden from sight too long and it is way past time to shine the light on it.
We Are What We Eat
Consumers must know where their food comes from, that it once had a face, had feelings, felt pain, was often tortured for the pleasure of the workers, and most of all, what it is that they are really eating. There is no truer statement than, "we are what we eat" and the animal factory food we are eating holds some very unpleasant surprises.
The site is highly populated with very graphic videos of just how factory farm animals are treated. Many of the films were obtained by PETA, The Humane Society, Farm Sanctuary and other animal rights activists, often at great personal danger. They are hard to watch but that is the idea after all.
Changing Hearts and Minds
The objective of this site is to touch people’s conscience and change hearts and minds about farm animals to the extent that no one will be able to ignore such activity any longer.
Below is a short You Tube video that was intended to be funny. It is funny but the message is profound. Watch the people's reactions when they see first hand where that fresh pork is coming from.
It is a foreign film in Portugese but the message is clear. "Moedor de Porco" in the film means "pork (or pig) grinder". People would care greatly if they could see in living color how living animals are turned into sausage links and shrink wrapped flesh. So in the interest of full transparency, let's get glass walls on all those slaughterhouses.
Video From Pegadinha com Ivo Holanda and uploaded by claudiard1981
The key is knowledge; knowledge about the type of food we eat, how it was prepared, where it came from and, in the case of animal flesh and dairy products, how it was raised and under what conditions.
This can be accomplished by doing your own research using a variety of reliable resources such as the books, videos and websites referenced above and displayed throughout this website.
There are many excellent websites to start with and one of best (besides this one of course) is Belsandia. It presents a very accurate description of the factory farming system and presents an easy, commonsense vegetarian alternative to eating animals and animal products.
Visit this site via the link above and find out what Belsandia means and how it is restoring health to thousands of people though dietary adjustments.
Influence Peddling and Corruption in High Places
The factory farming system must step up to some long overdue changes.
For starters, the multinational corporate lobbyists must be reined in.
The enablers must be exposed. These are the supporting structures of compliant government regulators, a bought-and-paid-for judiciary and the revolving door between government and industry.
Corporate leadership that considers profit above concern for the community must evaluate the long-term consequences of their actions and be held accountable.
The corrupted academics found in many land-grant colleges and research institutions that seek to genetically engineer animals to fit the system instead of changing the system to accommodate the animal must be regulated.
Genetic Engineering and the Brave New World
Wait until you see what the industry has in mind for the farm animals of the future with the help of animal science geneticists. “Transgenic” and “xenotransplantation” are the new buzzwords of our brave new world.
Is it too Late?
The position of government and industry with respect to farming has been to "get big or get out". It is time to change that to "get sustainable, get clean, get healthy and get humane or get out".
- Factory Farming News Blog
- The Factory Farming blog comments on current events in the industry and keeps you up to date on all additions and changes to the site. Subscribe here.
- Factory Farming Source Books
- There is no shortage of source books on the subject of factory farming. Much of the material presented
- Factory Farming SiteSearch
- The factory-farming.com SiteSearch is the search tool for quickly finding site pages containing your
- CAFO - Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation
- CAFO describes the most recent step in the transformation of animals to production machinery.
- An Animal Factory For Each Animal
- There is an animal factory for each type of food animal. Take a walk through each one and see how various animals become shrink wrapped packages of flesh.
- Beef Production: Free Range to Feedlot to Freezer
- Beef production in the U.S. is big corporation, lobbist and lawyer protected, high volume but marginally profitable. How does it last?
- The Industrial Milk Factory; It's No Dairy
- An industrial milk factory output is milk plus. It's the "plus" we have to watch out for.
- The Chicken Factory
- There's two types of chicken factory; one for eggs, one for meat. Learn how chicken CAFOs stock our supermarkets.
- Fish Farming; Bringing CAFOs to the Sea
- Fish farming sounds like a solution to over-fishing the oceans. In different ways, both are hazardous to the marine ecosystem.
- Foie Gras...Diseased Goose Liver
- Foie Gras is French for "fat liver". Learn how it is produced, then choose if you really want to eat one.
- Pig Farms Today
- Industrial pig farms are all CAFOs today. See where our bacon, pork chops and ribs come from.
- Turkey Factory: No Heritage Birds Here!
- A turkey factory bird is nothing to say grace over. How did this ever become part of Thanksgiving? Marketing!
- Environmental Problems: Are Animal Factories Worth the Cost?
- An overview of the complex and far reaching environmental problems caused by CAFO's and animal factories.
- Farm Factory Manure and the Environment
- Manure is the toxic waste of the modern CAFO, Learn how it destroys communities, quality of life, waterways and air.
- Chicken Manure; Here, There, Everywhere!
- Tons of chicken manure is the output of chicken CAFOs. Where does it all go?
- Pig Manure: Do Not Try This at Home!
- Pig Manure from animal factory CAFOs is evil stuff. Find out just how evil.
- Fish Farms: Not so Clean After All.
- Fish farms have their good points but lack of pollution is not one of them. Find out why.
- Factory Farming and Health
- Factory farming and health is one of the most hotly debated issues associated with the CAFO system. Is factory farming damaging our health and that of the communities in which they are located? Let'
- Characteristics of Healthy Food
- Healthy food keeps us well and thriving. Can animal factory food be healthy food?
- Raw Milk
- Organic raw milk from pastured, grass fed dairy cattle is arguably the most healthy milk anyone can ever consume; if you can find it.
- Fast FoodLive Fast, Eat Fast, Die Young
- Fast food is the natural result of industrial animal factories and chronic disease is the natural result of both.
- Evolution of Factory Farming
- Factory farming is an expected result of subsidized feed crops for animals and government protection.
- Obesity and DiabetesLinks to Factory Farms
- Obesity and diabetes are linked in a cause and effect relationship stemming from the fast food industry
- Community Health and Factory Farms
- Community health pertinent to factory farms is more than just absence of illness; it runs the gamut of
- Infectious Organisms and Factory Farming
- Infectious Organisms represent the greatest threat from factory farms. Just as the animals have been engineered for efficiency, the bugs have engineered themselves for survivability and lethality.
- Zoonotic DiseasesThe Animal's Revenge
- Zoonotic diseases are those passed to or shared by animals and humans. In the context of factory farms, these are the ones to watch out for; they are killers.
- The PrionBeef Bites Back
- A prion is an infectious deformed protein. But is it the transmissable agent of spongiform encephalopathy type
- Antibiotic Resistance from Factory Farming
- Antibiotic resistance stemming from factory farmed animals could greatly decrease our ability to fight infection and increase the lethality of common diseases.
- Food RecallsAnimal Factory ByProduct
- Food recalls are public information. It is prudent to know what is being recalled and why. Here is how to find out.
- The Future of Food
- The outlook for the future of food is not so good. A confluence of many factors are to blame.
- Climate Change and the Future of Food
- Climate change will have a profound effect on world food production. Can humanity weather this storm?
- Desertification and Food
- Desertification is the transformation of arable, productive land into barren wastelands. The reasons go far beyond global warming.
- Water Tables and Food
- Falling water tables threaten global food production. Is it reversible?
- Monoculture and the Future of Food
- The monoculture was born out of cost and scale considerations. Can it be sustained?
- Genetic Engineering of Crops and Animals
- Genetic engineering of agricultural crops and food animals could be the solution to famine or the greatest health threat to face the human race. Which is it?
- Pollination: Where Did They Go?
- Nothing Beats pollination better than nature's little creatures. What happens when they are gone?
- Over Fishing the Seas
- Over fishing and fishing methods have decimated the ocean's fish stocks. Can it recover?
- Sustainable Farming Action Plan
- Sustainable farming will become a reality when consumers take action. Here is some food for thought.
- Food Sustainability
- Food sustainability is the key to feeding future generations. The path we are on now leads to global famine.
- Animal ActivistsCatalyst for Change
- The animal activists are the real heroes in the animal factory tragedy. They are the agents of change and the CAFOs are on notice, change is coming.
- The Humane SocietySaving the Animals
- The Humane Society is the animal abusers worst nightmare. Their work matters!
- PETA is either a saving angel or the worst of devils; it all depends on whether or not you are an animal abuser or animal lover.
- Farm SanctuaryGene Baur's Dream Come True
- A farm sanctuary represents life for doomed animals, the trick is getting there. An animals arrival at a sanctuary is akin to breaching the Berlin Wall or escaping from a World War II death camp.
- Find out about me and why the factory-farming.com site was created.
- Contact Us
- The Contact form is for your questions, suggestions or commments.
- SiteMap for Factory-Farming.com
- This sitemap displays links to the pages of factory-farming.com for your convenience and edification.